Monday, July 20, 2009

Washington or bust....

Well I still feel as though I'm in vacation mode and definitely feel as though I've been longer then 10 days, then again, we've crammed a lot of activities in a short period of time.

For starters, the first night after Dad left, Jen and Dan's nephew Hunter came over and cooked and let me tell you, that kid can cook. We were wanting to make a specific recipe that required Cream of mushroom soup, well there's not a such thing in the gluten free world. Hunter made a ruex frmo scratch and with gluten free flour and you couldn't tell that it was gluten free by any means, PLUS it was delicious. Which leads me to my biggest difficulty since moving here- locating gluten free foods and finding a grocery store that I can use as my "go-to" store. While it was reassuring that there's a Safeway here, Safeway has never had a selection of gluten-free foods that was sufficient enough in daily foods. The Kroger brands out here, QFC and Fred Meyer seem to be pretty equal to their sister stores King Soopers, however, I have yet to locate gluten-free bakery goodies in their stores. BUT, I have bread, cereal and salad dressings from them, it's just a matter of aimlessly wandering around them some more to see what they really have. Fred Meyer has by far been the best and they are like a Super Target so I'm loving that, and plus, most of them have a Starbucks in side, which, of course is a must! Just kidding!

I haven't started work yet, but I should get my schedule soon and hopefully start before the month is up. Luckily, a couple of the kids that work at the Cold Stone had shot themselves in their own feet regarding their jobs so I won't be taking anyone's hours. Let's just say that there have been some issues with money discrepencies and not storing ice cream away properly at the end of the night. So anyway, its' reassuring. I'm continuing to look for jobs in the area that have health benefits, including many of the grocery stores in the area, so I'll keep my fingers crossed! Life seems to be settling nicely otherwise, with the exception of still not knowing my way around. I can get to and from the Costco(it's about 5 mins away from the house) and to and from the Everett Mall, but everything else is slowly coming. Jen and Dan have a GPS system that they let me use so that's a huge bonus!

Once I start my job, I'll post more.

No comments: